Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 2:53AM #1
ProfessorGoatPellets
Howdy Scientology people,

I'm stuck in an internet cafe and it looks like it might rain outside so I'm trapped.

To kill some time I thought I'd just post something I was thinking about the other day.

I remember about four or five years ago, the Asian edition of Time magazine ran a cover article on recent scientific research into the effects of meditation on brain activity. 

The research came to the conclusion that what happens is this: as the meditator gains deeper 'absorption' in his / her object of meditation brain activity reduces.  Once the meditator stops meditating brain activity slowly returns to normal levels but with a more postive pattern of activity.  The article stated that negative patterns of brain activity appeared to be accumulated by people over time and meditation appeared to perform a 'reset' by which they are lost.

I was thinking that this corresponds (to some extent) with LRHs concept of Circuits. 

Could it be that the brain activity is reduced in Dianetics through absorption in the event being 'returned to'?

Just thoughts really ...

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 2:45AM #2
ProfessorGoatPellets
By the way - I wasn't talking about a reduction in brain activity as an insult to anyone ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 9:53PM #3
ProfessorGoatPellets
Yes - I know what the official Scientology reason is, but I found this interesting:

"The term Dianetics, which Scientologists frequently use, is really a mixture of the Sanskrit Hindu-Buddhist word `dhyana' (meditation) and the English word 'technique."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 7:03PM #4
John.beliefnet.com

The word Dianetics comes from the Greek dia, meaning “through” and nous, meaning “soul.” and is defined as “what the soul is doing to the body.”

The brain activity your talking about would not be explained in that way in Dianetics, as LRH researched the subject further and advanced into Scientology he found that the soul or being was the individual himself and that it was separate from the body. That the being could influence the body but was not the body. So what the brain was doing was not what the being was doing. A far as the mind goes as he advanced his research he found that the mind was not the brain. That the brain was the communication center for the body and the mind tapped into this communication but the mind was not part of the body. This is proven out with the phenomena of past lives. If the memories of the individual is stored in the brain he would not have any recall into past lives as the brain is physical and is attached to the body and once the body is dead the brain is dead,  yet this occurs regularly with Dianetic Counseling. So again the brain activity would not be representative of what the mind was doing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2009 - 1:58PM #5
Wildeprods

Hi Professor Goat,

Meditation helps to quiet the mind by forcing the meditator to focus and learn the discipline of thinking one thought at a time. 

Auditing does the same, but is more effective, because it erases the negative thoughts and actions from the past that cause over-thinking. 

Say you have to do a job you don't want to do because of an accident or putdown you got when trying to do the job in the past.  Your mind will race; thinking of reasons not to do it, will you do it properly, will you do a good job, it's a nice day outside, etc.  Auditing will take you back to that time (without hypnosis) and have you go over that past situation (and earlier similar incidents) so you're okay with it and the past incidents aren't affecting what and how you do the job in the present.

That same study you mentioned also had scientologists as part of the study.  Researchers found that auditing gave the same results, but were immediate, not gradual.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 12:54PM #6
Mark.tomles

Out of curiosity, how is this different than psychiatric counseling, in which one is encouraged to "relive" and discuss a past trauma in order to confront it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 6:40PM #7
Timmylee

I just want to say that anytime you review a traumatic incident, you are confronting it and becoming more aware of it. It doesn't matter who has a name on the door.  You must simply relive it completely to make it go away. I found that the central core of the stimulus response mind, must be erased for complete release from all trauma.  But reliving an incident between 20 and 100 times should do the trick for most incidents if you don't have an e meter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 7:46PM #8
Mark.tomles

Dec 28, 2009 -- 6:40PM, Timmylee wrote:

I just want to say that anytime you review a traumatic incident, you are confronting it and becoming more aware of it. It doesn't matter who has a name on the door.  You must simply relive it completely to make it go away. I found that the central core of the stimulus response mind, must be erased for complete release from all trauma.  But reliving an incident between 20 and 100 times should do the trick for most incidents if you don't have an e meter.

Tim,
I'm not sure of your point. Are you advocating the usage of an e-meter as a therapeutic tool?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 8:13PM #9
Timmylee

I have not been trained to use an e meter.  I have read some transcripts of L. Ron Hubbard in session.  I suspect that auditing without the use of an e meter leaves room for slop. Slop is unacceptable in Standard tech. But, if there is no e meter around, any memory of an incident can be reduced in its severity by fully reliving it.  The speed at which cases recieved gain was improved by the use of an e meter in the skilled hands of an auditor.

Timmy Lee

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2009 - 12:31PM #10
Mark.tomles
Okay, if we may explore this: what exactly do you believe that an e-meter does? physically, I mean. Or would you say that it is entirely spiritual?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook