Switch to Forum Live View California Pantheist Campout in 2008
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 4:36PM #1
Ancestral
Hi all,

I'm inviting anyone who is interested in attending the first California Pantheist Campout in 2008 to join the newly established Yahoo discussion group. This group is for people interested in planning and attending the
first Pantheist Campout for California in the spring or summer of 2008. We welcome all interested parties including adults and families with children!

As this will be an all-volunteer event, we will be looking for ideas for activities, people to organize and lead those activities, etc. Please feel free to invite any interested folk from California and adjacent areas with compatible ideology (such as atheists, humanists, Unitarian Universalists, etc.) to join the group to see if this event may work for them. I would encourage you to especially invite any families with children. My hope to start to create a "real world" community among the pantheists and like-minded folks (as well as folks you know who may be very
compatible with pantheism but have not yet encountered us) in California and adjacent areas. Being naturalistic pantheist parents with children in California (in Tehachapi), I think it would be helpful (and healthy) for my kids to see that there are actually other people out there with similar beliefs to ours.

I'm thinking of starting simple such as perhaps selecting a weekend in the spiring or early summer at a KOA (perhaps the Lake Isabella KOA as there is a local Audubon Society sanctuary and other activities available). Interested folks could then rent a cabin, rent a tent site, or bring their RV. There are also other local campgrounds as well as motels, etc. for those who are unable or do not wish to camp.

Anyone interested?

Here is the link to the group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pantheistcamp/

Thanks!

Dave

a little about me - My wife and I are atheists, humanists, and naturalistic pantheists. We have two elementary school age children and live in the Tehachapi area of California. I work in the field of adoptions with children in foster care, and my wife homeschools our children (and is the local Earth Scouts leader).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 6:29PM #2
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=Ancestral;164110]As this will be an all-volunteer event, we will be looking for ideas for activities, people to organize and lead those activities, etc... My hope to start to create a "real world" community among the pantheists and like-minded folks [/qUOTE]

That sounds like a lot of fun Dave and something I would be very interested in participating in. Unfortunately, I live in S Louisiana so the logistics would be impractical for me though I hope you have a good healthy initial turn-out.

As far as suggestions for activities; what about geocaching, or an orienteering type course, scavenger hunt, etc using the old school map and compass. Would go a long way to teach the kids about magnetic vs true north and how to read maps before they get too reliant on gps systems.

Who can identify the most different insect or plant species in a given time frame?

Who can identify the most edible wild plants in the area?

Who can pick up the most trash?

Astronomy workshop or class.

My favorite: a emergency preparedness workshop or contest (who has the best Bug Out Bag).

Some stuff we did in Boy Scouts; race to see who could build a fire with wet wood (my troop got disqualified for using lighter fluid). stretcher relay (we won that one).

Basket weaving.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 7:37PM #3
Ancestral
Those are some great ideas! I'll be sure to share those on the Campout discussion group.

Now you know, of course, that you could always organize a similar campout on your side of the country. Hint, hint.

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 9:40PM #4
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=Ancestral;164245]Those are some great ideas! I'll be sure to share those on the Campout discussion group.

Now you know, of course, that you could always organize a similar campout on your side of the country. Hint, hint.

Dave[/QUOTE]

That would be cool Dave.

Something to think about for the future.

Right now though, I'm lucky just to get myself out into the woods alone, which is what I really want to do... just wander for about a week and not see another Homo sapiens  (pesky critters).
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 11:12PM #5
Ancestral
I live in the woods. All I got to do is go take a walk to get away from folks.

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 10:37AM #6
Redfrog777
Hey Dave,

This sounds great! We live in Saugus. So I think that we can pull this one off.

I went to the Yahoo site but “I no so smart” It wasn’t obvious to me what to do?

I could bring up my homemade telescope and act like I know what I am doing with it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 12:50PM #7
Ancestral
[QUOTE=Redfrog777;268199]Hey Dave,

This sounds great! We live in Saugus. So I think that we can pull this one off.

I went to the Yahoo site but “I no so smart” It wasn’t obvious to me what to do?

I could bring up my homemade telescope and act like I know what I am doing with it.[/QUOTE]

Drop me a message on my profile and I'll send you an invite to click. You might have to create a Yahoo account but it's free.

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 8:46PM #8
Sakhaiva
edit - I'm totally late on this; rats.

If you guys do it again, I am game :)  Also if you are looking for a spot to do it, there is this nice location

http://nightpath.org/gaia/   and it is operated by natural pantheists.  (I'm thinking of volunteering for weekend work just to check it out - looks lovely (for the spring)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook