Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Calling all Taoists
10 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 12:27PM #1
stardustpilgrim
Why haven't all the Taoists found this forum? (Me included). Let's try a little experiment. Either very few have come here at all, or almost nobody has chosen to start a new thread. So let's cast an invisible net and try to pull interested people back in.......... I'll try to shortly start a new (and hopefully interesting) thread.
sdp
Roses always come with thorns. Sometimes, thorns first, sometimes roses first, and, sometimes, thorns outside, roses inside, sometimes roses outside, thorns inside.

Someone who dreams of drinking wine at a cheerful banquet may wake up crying the next morning. Someone who dreams of crying may go off the next morning to enjoy the sport of the hunt. When we are in the midst of a dream, we do not know it's a dream. Sometimes we may even try to interpret our dreams while we are dreaming, but then we awake and realize it was a dream. Only after one is greatly awakened does one realize that it was all a great dream, while the fool thinks that he is awake and presumptuously aware. Chuang Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 8:58PM #2
woody666
I found it really hard to find this forum even though I knew it existed. How anybody might find it on a casual search I don't know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 5:57PM #3
EyesoftheWorld
It could be that Taoists in general are pretty "mellow" (haha, inside joke there) and talking about it seems to end up causing friction which is like Kryptonite for Taoists... You know the concept that "Talking about Zen is like looking for fish tracks in a dry river bed"?

once you start consciously thinking and worse, discussing, the Tao, you have necessarily stepped out of it.

and as Lau Tzu basically said, any words you use to try to express it (your conception of it, that is) are bound to fail... so it's like this forum may cause more harm than good... though I guess it all works out anyway in the long run.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 10:38PM #4
DaoJones
I used to come here all the time but Beliefnet keeps making changes and each time they do it's more confusing. I have a hard time finding anything and give up in frustration. I really wish they stop "improving" the site. It's ridiculous.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2008 - 1:52PM #5
EyesoftheWorld
that's a killer name you have there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 1:21PM #6
Whisperingal
Not all admireres of Lao-Tse think that in order to talk about Taoism we have to talk about  or reference Buddhism too--and yet there's a lot of that here.

So I think it might turn some Taoists off.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 1:21PM #7
Whisperingal
Not all admireres of Lao-Tse think that in order to talk about Taoism we have to talk about  or reference Buddhism too--and yet there's a lot of that here.

So I think it might turn some Taoists off.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2008 - 2:21AM #8
kilgoretrout2006
I used to visit this forum a lot but it got so it just wasn't very interesting. There wasn't much of a sense of community or sharing of ideas. Someone would post an idea or a question and inevitably there were two or three people that would post 6 or 8 hundred word explanations of exactly how the world worked. Or people would fight about things. In my (Admittedly, not always humble.) opinion Taoism is fun and should maybe be more about asking questions than answering them.

Are things better here now?

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2008 - 12:03PM #9
EyesoftheWorld
Kilgore, is that really you?! The last time I saw you was during the TimeQuake! What a character you are!

As for the state of this forum... I don't know how to answer your question.

You could have an impact if you stuck around maybe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 1:42AM #10
kilgoretrout2006
Hey, yeah. I've been mostly hanging out on the Entertainment forum talking about movies. (I'm really excited about seeing the new "The Day the Earth Stood Still". It looks very spiritual.) (Seriously.) (Okay, mostly it just looks like Keanu Reeves blows a lot of stuff up. Still...)

[QUOTE=Whisperingal;937439]Not all admireres of Lao-Tse think that in order to talk about Taoism we have to talk about  or reference Buddhism too--and yet there's a lot of that here.

So I think it might turn some Taoists off.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, it's always seemed to me that people tend to see and explore Eastern religion as sort of a whole and then maybe settle down to one philosophy. So I would guess that a lot of people that think of themselves as Taoists are pretty familiar with Buddhism too. Plus, there are lot more Buddhists out there. (What we really need? Our own Saturday morning cartoon.)

(Or...)

(Do they still have Saturday morning cartoons?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook