Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Calling all Taoists
9 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 4:46AM #11
Whisperingal
Kilgore--hi.

Shintoists aren't Buddhists.

Confucianists are not Buddists.

Hindus are not Buddhists.

Jainists are not Buddhists.

Taoists are not Buddhists.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that "All eastern religions blend into one."

I think people can be a lot more discriminating than that.

And--sorry--but I don't care how many Buddhists there are numerically--they're not Taoists--so why should Taosim keep being related to an entirely different religion?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 9:13PM #12
MengTzu
[QUOTE=kilgoretrout2006;953605]I don't know, it's always seemed to me that people tend to see and explore Eastern religion as sort of a whole and then maybe settle down to one philosophy. So I would guess that a lot of people that think of themselves as Taoists are pretty familiar with Buddhism too. Plus, there are lot more Buddhists out there. (What we really need? Our own Saturday morning cartoon.) [/QUOTE]

While in many cases there is a "disconnect" between Eastern and Western perception, this is actually one area where they coincide: it is not unusual for Easterners to treat their traditions in a "melting pot."

Take the Chinese for example: traditionally, it is not unusual to have both a Buddhist funeral service and a Daoist funeral service for the same person.  Sometimes you have one funeral that mixes things from both.  Before you think that this is just a laymen practice, think about this: one of the most influential Daoist masters, Tao Xuan Jing, who lived around the 6th century, was both a Daoist priest and a Buddhist monk!  And before one thinks that I'm saying that a master did it, so it must be authoritative -- I'm not saying that at all.  I'm just saying that the mutual acceptance has pervaded in so many levels that you don't see the same kind of exclusivity among Western religions -- not saying that one is better than the other, just saying that it is what it is (to use a phrase that is used way too much in sports talk.)

That is not to say there had never been conflicts.  I think in another thread I talked about persecution of one by another (usually the persecuting side is favored by the emperor; go figure.)  That is also not to say that there are no distinctions between them.  The fact of the matter, I think, is that most Daoists and Buddhists have accepted this arrangement.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 1:33PM #13
Eisenhans

Dec 5, 2008 -- 1:21PM, Whisperingal wrote:

Not all admireres of Lao-Tse think that in order to talk about Taoism we have to talk about  or reference Buddhism too--and yet there's a lot of that here.   So I think it might turn some Taoists off.

Yes, there is that.  Buddhism definitely has no place in a Taoist forum.  The two religions are not at all compatible.  In fact, many (or even all?) of buddhism's mantras are empowered by evil magic.  My first possession occurred while I was sitting in half-lotus one night, chanting such mantras.  At the time, I did not know they were evil..... 

For me, however, the biggest turn-off to "Taoist" forums are that they are, in fact, much more about new-age than Taoism.

READING AND ADMIRING THE TTC -- OR ANY OTHER TAOISM-RELATED TEXT(S) -- DOES NOT MAKE ANYONE A TAOIST.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook