Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Taoism and the Afterlife
9 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 6:42PM #1
Prometheus144
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but I've been studying Taoism lately. But in my studies, I haven't heard much about the afterlife. Things here and there, but nothing clear. So, what is Taoism's position on the afterlife? Is there some kind of spirit world we go to? Do we assimilate into the Tao? Is there anything about reincarnation? I've heard talk about immortality, but how does that factor in? Thanks in advance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 11:23AM #2
luke643
prometheus,

There are all sorts of spirits involved in the self.  The five major spirits, or souls are the Hun, P'o, Zhi, yi and shen.  Of these, the P'o, or corporeal soul is with the body at birth and dies with the body.  The Hun, or non-corporeal soul, however enters the body shortly after birth and does not die, but moves on.

What this suggests to my reasoning is that part of our self is immortal, part is not, the self that exists on earth does not exists anywhere else, and the part of the self that moves on does not exactly exist in our earthly perception.  I think the point is to not look for an "afterlife" per se, but an understanding that part of our self is bound and part is unbound, in life or in death.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2008 - 3:19AM #3
hellight
Interesting.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook