Page 6 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: American Unitarian Conference
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2008 - 10:40AM #51
RevDorris
Thanks for ordering my book.  Just read a little each day.  Think about what is written, then feel free to accept or reject what I have written.  I do hope you will find enjoyment in reading it.

It is great to see the activity generated by this thread. 

I do know that any thinking person does not want to be spoon fed a religious doctrine.  Most of the people that I come into contact with want some basic parameters and guidance in areas that they do not fully understand.  With thought and contemplation, they will accept or reject what is presented.  Each individual and group has their favorite scriptures, books, and ways to worship.  They are seeking to find a way of fitting that information with what others believe in a harmonious or compatible way.  Sometimes this is difficult but most of the time it is not.  They do seek what rings true to both their heart and mind.

Most important of all is that each of the individuals is seeking to understand and learn. They are seeking to share their points of view and see if it works for others. These people go by many different labels and religious affiliations, or even reject religious affiliations but agree that there is One supreme being or force that governs all. They believe in love as the supreme unifier and in working together in a harmonious way for the human family.

With love,

Rev Dorris
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 5:37AM #52
RevDorris
Instruct me so that I may know your thoughts.  What do you think is true and false?  What are the proper thoughts and words?  How do I address the God most high?

Instruct me in the many ways.  All the ways ordained by the One.  How can I know each station?  How can I know the proper path to take?

As a priest teach me what is sacred.  Teach me the skills to avoid the profane.  What obstacles will be placed in my path?  How can they be properly removed or overcome?

Teach me the proper duties to perform everyday.  How do I know my words and prayers are heard?  What is the secret to receiving proper instruction?  Who is a worthy teacher and guide?

Who should be a priest and leader of the way?  How can mankind appoint a priest that should be called by God?  Such an honor should not be taken lightly.  God appoints but man must freely choose.

Life changes with each day and hour.  Months go by but we see little that changes.  How can we progress when nothing is done?  How can we say we love to serve when nothing changes?

Time slips away as we sit and wait.  Over and over we address the same questions and troubles.  How can we be wise when we go in circles?  Is there one who is worthy to be our leader and guide?

Help me to understand the plight of mankind.  Help me to know the proper way to worship and pray.  Help me to know the proper role and station for me.  Which of the hundred paths is proper for this day and time?

I know each of us has the free will to choose.  I know each of us has the strength to do what needs to be done.  I know that life is wondrous and always changing.  I know few will walk the path as a worthy child.

Each day we see the working of the Spirit all around.  Each day we see mankind turn away from the task.  We consign ourselves to a world of anger, fear, and hate.  Who will step forward as a leader and guide on the path of love and light?

Our opportunities are slipping away.  Mankind is creating a realm of animosity and hate.  Our world is being destroyed by many factions.  How can we come together on a path of love and service to all?

Will you step forward as a leader and guide?  Will you follow an anointed teacher and guide?  Will you accept the Spirit of the One to guide your steps each day?  Will you accept the robe and yoke of love being placed upon your shoulders?

With love,

Rev Dorris
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 6:04AM #53
DotNotInOz

RevDorris wrote:

Life changes with each day and hour. Months go by but we see little that changes. How can we progress when nothing is done? How can we say we love to serve when nothing changes?

Time slips away as we sit and wait. Over and over we address the same questions and troubles. How can we be wise when we go in circles?...

Each day we see the working of the Spirit all around. Each day we see mankind turn away from the task. We consign ourselves to a world of anger, fear, and hate....

Our world is being destroyed by many factions. How can we come together on a path of love and service to all?

These portions currently speak most deeply and profoundly to me, Rev. Dorris. Thanks so much for posting that.

Our church president's column in the recent newsletter was all about examining the ways in which we as a congregation may wish to change or be forced to change now that we've moved into an entirely new church building. As with most moves, we've still boxes and things sitting haphazardly about with much still in storage even though we've been there for over three weeks now.

As a fairly new member of the church, it's easy for me to see things that I feel ought to change whereas longterm members are feeling uprooted and wanting more stability.

Then, too, I've experienced personal upheaval just this past week when I went to the doctor and learned that my blood pressure was dangerously high, knowing that that was largely due to my having let my exercise program lapse almost completely.

So often we fallible humans fail to do that which we know we must for our own comfort and betterment, especially when it involves discipline and discomfort.

I'm back on my exercise program and have an appointment today to get some too-long-postponed medical testing done.

Wishing all of you the strength and determination to keep up better than I have with what you know you need to do for your health and well-being,
Dot

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 12:56PM #54
KittyMcConkie
Dot,

I too was very moved by the post by Rev. Dorris.  I am pleased that you are taking care of yourself.  I wish you the best.  I will light a candle to the Universe for your good health.  I have no idea if this ritual ever helps but it does help me to focus on the health issues of friends and family.

I have experience with delays of checking up on health issues.  My husband delayed and delayed when he had symptoms of a persistent cough, night sweats & a low grade fever in the evenings.  I was so annoyed with his cough I asked him if I could use a homeopathic spray, Propolis, a natural antibiotic from the inside of bee hives, for his throat.  I did -- & he was allergic to it!  But, it got him to his doctor & he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, stage 4.  He had treatments for 2 1/2 years& died early last Oct.

As you may have noticed I have not been around very often since then.  I am doing better but it is a very difficult time.

Thank you Rev. Dorris.  Your profound words were helpful fo me.

Kitty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 3:48PM #55
DotNotInOz
Oh, my, Kitty! How good it is to have you feeling up to coming back to the boards again.

It's certainly understandable that you've not felt like playing around on B-net since then.

Mega-huggers to you, and welcome back!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 4:04PM #56
DotNotInOz
Kitty, a book that you might find beneficial would be Judith Lasater's Relax & Renew, a collection of restorative yoga poses. A church member who's a yoga teacher suggested it to me as a good means of relieving stress and reducing blood pressure. She added that she often recommends this book to people grieving any major loss.

Restorative yoga emphasizes letting props of various types support your body so that little strain is placed upon muscles, thereby enabling you to relax more completely. So far, I'm amazed at how relaxed and energized five to fifteen minutes of lying comfortably propped up by folded blankets and towels can be!   

Perhaps some of the poses may ease and comfort you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2008 - 4:47PM #57
KittyMcConkie
Thank you, Dot for the 'mega hugs'  I love them!

Thank you, also, for the suggestion about the book by Lasater.  Indeed, the title sounds interesting!  The restorative yoga sounds like something that I really need.  I'll let you know about how I like it.  Kitty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 5:01PM #58
Starcomet
Hello everyone,

WOW I did not even know the AUC had a forum on beliefnet, this is so awesome :D. I would like to say that I have been a Unitarian Christian for some time now and have been looking for others who could agree with me. The Progressive Christian forum has lots of people who agree with the Unitarian doctrine and also share beliefs similar to mines. I am by the way a very Progressive, liberal, and open-minded Christian both theologically and socially. I plan to go to the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore (which is aligned with the UUA)  sometime and hope I am accepted into their environment. I would love to talk more about Unitarian theology with you guys and hope we can find lots of common ground with our beliefs :).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 4:38PM #59
RevDorris
This is part of an e-mail that I received this morning.  I feel it is important so I am passing it on to you.

Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost, just a lot of reward. Make sure you pray, and pray believing God will answer.

May today be all you need it to be. May the peace of God and the freshness of the Holy Spirit rest in your thoughts, rule in your dreams tonight, and conquer all your fears. May God manifest himself today in ways you have never experienced. May your joys be fulfilled, your dreams be closer, and your prayers be answered. I pray that faith enters a new height for you; I pray that your territory is enlarged. I pray for peace, healing, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, true and undying love for God.

With love,

Rev Dorris
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 4:38PM #60
RevDorris
This is part of an e-mail that I received this morning.  I feel it is important so I am passing it on to you.

Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost, just a lot of reward. Make sure you pray, and pray believing God will answer.

May today be all you need it to be. May the peace of God and the freshness of the Holy Spirit rest in your thoughts, rule in your dreams tonight, and conquer all your fears. May God manifest himself today in ways you have never experienced. May your joys be fulfilled, your dreams be closer, and your prayers be answered. I pray that faith enters a new height for you; I pray that your territory is enlarged. I pray for peace, healing, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, true and undying love for God.

With love,

Rev Dorris
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook