Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: American Unitarian Conference
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 9:14AM #1
rbchaddy2000
There is a real need for a separate sudforum for the AUC and its admirers which includes me. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 9:14AM #2
rbchaddy2000
There is a real need for a separate sudforum for the AUC and its admirers which includes me. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 2:05PM #3
rbchaddy2000
Please this is an important issue. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 2:20PM #4
Jcarlinbn

rbchaddy2000 wrote:

You just created it. 
jcarlinbn

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 2:23PM #5
Jcarlinbn

RevDorris10/11/2007 9:47 AM
1 out of 1

Go no further.
Check our way.
Visit us.
See if there is knowledge and wisdom.
Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 5:31PM #6
DotNotInOz
Ummmm...perhaps I'm misconstruing Richard's point, but no, this is not a separate sub-forum. It's merely a thread under Unitarian Universalism, and the AUC wants not to be associated at all with the Unitarian Universalist Association as far as I've been able to determine.

However, considering that the AUC segment of Old B-net didn't seem to draw many postings, I'm guessing that quite a bit of traffic on this thread would be required for a truly separate sub-forum to be formed.

That so, jcarlinbn?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 8:00AM #7
rbchaddy2000
Thanks. Traditional Unitarians are welcome to respond to their thoughts,needs, and desires. Richard W. Chadburn
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 9:08AM #8
RevDorris
Thanks Richard for drawing attention to the AUC on this forum.  I would invite all who believe in One God to participate and share their ideas.

With love,

Rev Dorris
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 7:39AM #9
RevDorris
The question or problem that we all must face is how to explain what Unitarians believe.  I cannot count the times I have been asked, “What is a Unitarian?” and “What do Unitarians believe?”  I am sure many of you have been asked these same questions.

Our principles are good but do not lend to an easy answer to these questions.  Is it possible to come up with a simple answer to each of these questions that we all can use?

What is a Unitarian?

Simply put, a Unitarian is a person who believes there is only One God.

What do Unitarians believe?

This is a much more difficult answer.  This is where we need to draw on our principles and develop a clear statement or creed.  I will suggest 5 simple statements that can be used to explain what we are and what we believe.

Our religious tradition is the Unitarian Faith. We believe there is only One God worshiped in different ways.  We believe that love and works go hand in hand.  We believe in the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.  We believe that revelation is ongoing.

These are very simple and easy to remember statements that we all can relate to.  Let’s now look at them in a little more detail.

1.    Our religious tradition is the Unitarian Faith.  This statement sums up many things.  We are Unitarians.  Unitarianism has been around since the beginning of recorded history.  Most of the literature that we have only traces Unitarianism back a few hundred years.  This has set up the conflict of Trinitarian verses Unitarian.  People tend to define the Unitarian Movement as a sect of Christianity and no more.  This is very limiting and is driving away many Unitarians from other faiths and cultures.  A modern way of describing Unitarianism has been to say it is the teachings of Jesus plus the richness of the compatible teachings found in many different traditions.

2.    We believe there is only One God worshiped in different ways.  As there is only One God, all forms of worship must be worship of some aspect of the One God.  Because of our various backgrounds, we may not understand or comprehend the form of worship.  That does not change the fact that there is only One God.  It does open up a way for us to gain new insights and new teachings that are useful in our development and growth.  In learning about other forms of worship and their scriptures we gain a deeper understanding of our own scriptures.  Sometimes we gain insight and the meaning of verses that have seemed obscure or meaningless to us in the past.

3.    We believe that love and works go hand in hand.  We emphasis the two commandments to love and serve God and to love and serve our fellowman.  Without works we have a dead faith.  Without love we have no faith at all.  These are the cornerstones of all the great religions that have helped to advance mankind.  Jesus indicated that this love and service is the center support on which all other rules, laws, and commandments rest.  When we fulfill these two requirements we do all that is necessary to take our place as children of God.

4.    We believe in the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.  Each individual and in turn each church has free will to choose the appropriate path.  We each accept individual responsibility for our choices and the way we live life.  We are each given the ability to reason or think.  We have the ability and the guidance available to determine what is true and what is false.  We can determine the meaning of instruction and accept or reject that instruction on an individual basis.  In the Unitarian Faith there is no blind faith or blind obedience demanded.  Each individual may use the form and teachings that works for them and set aside the rest.  With this comes the understanding that we are to use our gifts in a responsible, constructive, and ethical manner.

5.    We believe that revelation is on going.  Inspiration can be found everywhere.  It can come from nature, science, literature, scripture, the arts, and from all the religious traditions.  We can receive revelations in meditation or prayer.  We can receive revelations just by listening to the small voice that is within each of us.  Sometimes thoughts come in quiet times and dreams.  We often dismiss the information as being too simple to be worthwhile or true.  Many of us come from traditions that restrict God’s revelations to just a few individuals or to one form of scripture written thousands of years ago.  God still speaks each day.  All we have to do is be open and listen.  More and more is being revealed from the ancient past in new discoveries.  Still we each have direct access to God and can receive revelations or inspirations on a day to day basis.

Let me repeat again these 5 simple statements:
1.     Our Religious tradition is the Unitarian Faith.
2.    We believe there is only One God worshiped in many ways.
3.    We believe that love and works go hand in hand.
4.    We believe in the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
5.    We believe that revelation is on going.

I believe that these five simple statements set the stage for all that we can accomplish or achieve.  In a manner of speaking they form a simple creed or statement of faith.  They can serve as the basis for our unity of effort.  We can be on the same page when others ask who we are and what we believe.  I ask you to accept these statements.  Let us work together to achieve a balance of love, harmony, and peace.  Let us grow together as Children of the One God.
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 9:19PM #10
Ancestral
Thanks Rev. Dorris! There are also some interesting discussion forums in regards to traditional Unitarianism at the American Unitarian Conference website. I invite others to join the discussions there as well.

http://www.americanunitarian.org/forum/
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook