7 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 9:32AM #1
KARD9000
Wow, I can definitely hear the crickets in this forum!  I'd love to find a way to start some dialogue. 

In a different forum Ancestral posted a question.  They wanted to know if anyone was looking for groups to join or belonged to these groups:

"religious humanists also might belong to these groups which are open to atheists, freethinkers, philosophical naturalists, etc".:

Unitarian Universalist Association
American Ethical Union (Ethical Culture)

"There are also other groups which use the term "pantheism" but can actually be referring to philosophical naturalism (by equating the term 'God" with the physical universe" but not necessarily !):

World Pantheist Movement
Universal Pantheist Society

Does anyone here belong to any of these groups?  If so, what are the benefits?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 12:05PM #2
Ancestral
I'm here. Pantheism used to be an active forum on the "old" Beliefnet. Did it get killed off in the translation?

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 2:42PM #3
KARD9000
I'm thinking it did.

I thought about emailing all the people who list panthiest under faiths just to see what would happen. Maybe they might come back....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 12:05PM #4
Ancestral
I'm here. Pantheism used to be an active forum on the "old" Beliefnet. Did it get killed off in the translation?

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 2:42PM #5
KARD9000
I'm thinking it did.

I thought about emailing all the people who list panthiest under faiths just to see what would happen. Maybe they might come back....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 4:31PM #6
Ancestral
It was cyclical before. The section for pantheism was started by primarily naturalistic (i.e. "scientific") pantheists who were members of the World Pantheist Movement (WPM). Since the WPM also has Yahoo discussion lists of its own, participation was on and off. When many supernaturalist type pantheists of the "woo woo" variety started showing up, many WPM members retreated back to the WPM lists in order to get away from pointless debates. They have flowed back and forth until the "translation" to the new Beliefnet.

Are you on any of the lists of the WPM on Yahoo or the UPS list (also on Yahoo)?

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 5:52PM #7
KARD9000
No.  I've been thinking about it but haven't done anything yet.

I may once the holidays are over and life gets a little back to normal.

Do you belong to either??
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 7:08PM #8
Ancestral
I've been a member of both. The WPM is more active than UPS, but they are both good online organizations. In terms of "real world" activities the WPM has really only had ongoing success in those areas in or around an urban area (or those that cover a wife geographic range). UPS really was never able to translate much beyond the newsletter stage. I've let my WPM membership lapse, but I may re-join in January (once I have gotten around holiday expenses). My UPS membership doesn't expire until later.

They are both more focused on the philosophical aspects and not the celebratory aspects (and hence my interests in such things as godhlauss Forn Sed/Asatru as a culturally appropriate method of celebration).

In frith,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 6:39PM #9
Ancestral
[QUOTE=Ancestral;118549](or those that cover a wife geographic range). [/QUOTE]

Obviously, that should read "wide", not "wife".

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook