Switch to Forum Live View Concern for schools in the inner city
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 8:38AM #1
rbchaddy2000
I am a staff member at an inner city high school with a predominantly African American student body. My avatar is Doctor King. I am ethnically Euro-American. Respect for African Amertican paganism is a concern as well. I see poverty and poorness of spirit. I love my kids. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 6:36PM #2
PomegranateStaindGrn
As ignorant as this might make me sound, I didn't know that there was any real African American Pagan movement going in American high schools.  I thought it was becoming more of a college-aged movement appearing in many forms in all cultures. 

Can you give more information on what you're referring to as "African American Paganism"?  If there is a lack of respect, it's usually caused by a lack of knowledge or information. 

Thanks
BB
Pom
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 8:28PM #3
gillyflower
Interesting! I wasn't aware of a movement like that either and I'm in an urban area, too. I'm not African American though. Around here I thought it was the older African Americans who are into a little Voudon on the side or maybe folk beliefs and cures are closer to the truth. There's even a shop that has been there forever that has all the stuff needed. No sign so you have to know where and what it is. Not for the New Agers!
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 7:41AM #4
rbchaddy2000
African American paganism is not necessarily in the h.s.alone. I was speaking of maintaining respect for beliefs stemming from African indigeneous beliefs. There are are many variations of traditions that survive in the African American community. New Orleans, the gullah people, the Caribbean influences have an impact. Voodoo is an example. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:32AM #5
PomegranateStaindGrn
Richard,
You mentioned the high schools specifically which is why I asked about them.  Living in the KC, Missouri area I see a great deal of African American culture but my exposure (though limited) tends to be mostly to a large Christian base (obviously we're in the buckle of that Bible Belt) - thus making it less appealing to introduce African American Paganism. 

I'm curious - are you concerned about prejudice against those trying to live a Pagan life within that community, or are you hoping to introduce it more into the community or schools?  I'm a bit confused by your posts thus far and I have a severe lack of knowledge of the information.  It's difficult to know what you're wanting to discuss here, and if there's something you're asking, we need more information in order to help. 

BB
Pom
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 1:48PM #6
Al_Jaeger
Richard,
Forgive me if I read you wrong,
It appears you are saying that on almost all accounts; religion, economics, learning environment and poverty, that the inner city schools are being shorted. Am I right on what you were saying?
If so, I agree.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 7:31AM #7
rbchaddy2000
Al_Jaegar: The inner city is neglected on many counts. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 7:35AM #8
rbchaddy2000
Pom: I am not for promoting, but for protecting the right to believe what you believe. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook