Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Senate Panel Probes 6 Top Televangelists
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 1:41AM #31
davelaw40

nicoletate wrote:

It's strange how in the story of Jesus, he was a poor man throught out his entire life, but most of the followers of Jesus to day, do make plenty of money off of his name.

I have never been able to get into the high-dollar preachers, they just don't compare.

jesus was intentionally poor but was financed by Rich people-read the back story

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 9:15AM #32
JohnQ
As a Christian, I commend Sen Grassley on the investigation. 

I have no problem with what any of the six evengelist do.*

I have no problem with how they live.  These preachers do live high on the hog...but, so what?  I hope they enjoy.

I enjoy listening to a couple of them now and then.  However,  if they are abusing the tax laws....then, they should pay taxes.  TBN (Trinity Broadcast Network) now pays taxes for that reason.

I also commend the ministries that are cooperating with the Sen.  And, I think the Sen should use all power within his authority to go after those that are not cooperating.

This is not a religious dogma issue...it is a government tax issue.   

*Well, that is not completely true.  In theory, I have no problem.  A couple of them are prejudice-supportive Christians who perpetuate prejudice, discrimination, and bigotry against lgbt people.  However, that is not the topic at hand.
Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 9:15AM #33
JohnQ
As a Christian, I commend Sen Grassley on the investigation. 

I have no problem with what any of the six evengelist do.*

I have no problem with how they live.  These preachers do live high on the hog...but, so what?  I hope they enjoy.

I enjoy listening to a couple of them now and then.  However,  if they are abusing the tax laws....then, they should pay taxes.  TBN (Trinity Broadcast Network) now pays taxes for that reason.

I also commend the ministries that are cooperating with the Sen.  And, I think the Sen should use all power within his authority to go after those that are not cooperating.

This is not a religious dogma issue...it is a government tax issue.   

*Well, that is not completely true.  In theory, I have no problem.  A couple of them are prejudice-supportive Christians who perpetuate prejudice, discrimination, and bigotry against lgbt people.  However, that is not the topic at hand.
Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 1:34PM #34
davelaw40

JohnQ wrote:

thats my problem, i think he is the wrong branch of government to have any investigative power outside of background to propose new laws

and i love Sen. Grassley otherwise

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 6:14PM #35
andrewcyrus
Grassley is a first class hypocrite who is GWB-Cheneys puppet when it comes to voting to finance illegal wars of agression. Someone ought to tell this stuffed suit to pull the beam out of his own eye before he goes looking at his fellow country men. His hypocrysy reaches to high heaven.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2008 - 3:04PM #36
TPaine
[QUOTE=davelaw40;64221]Where is the authority for Congress to act as a Grand Jury?[/QUOTE]

Part of Congress' authority is oversight of government agencies including the IRS. Therefore, it is the job of the Senate Finance Committee to ensure that tax exempt organizations correctly report income and expenses.
I can understand why Senator Grassley might question why Benny Hinn lives in a $10 million 7 bathroom, 8 bedroom mansion overlooking the Pacific Ocean which he claims is a parsonage; or why Joyce & David Meyer have a $23,000 marble topped commode and a $30,000 conference table; or why Bishop Eddie Long who claims he no longer receives a salary from his church, but accepts "love offerings," lives in 9 bathroom mansion on 20 acres and drives a $300,000 Bentley.
"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2008 - 3:04PM #37
TPaine
[QUOTE=davelaw40;64221]Where is the authority for Congress to act as a Grand Jury?[/QUOTE]

Part of Congress' authority is oversight of government agencies including the IRS. Therefore, it is the job of the Senate Finance Committee to ensure that tax exempt organizations correctly report income and expenses.
I can understand why Senator Grassley might question why Benny Hinn lives in a $10 million 7 bathroom, 8 bedroom mansion overlooking the Pacific Ocean which he claims is a parsonage; or why Joyce & David Meyer have a $23,000 marble topped commode and a $30,000 conference table; or why Bishop Eddie Long who claims he no longer receives a salary from his church, but accepts "love offerings," lives in 9 bathroom mansion on 20 acres and drives a $300,000 Bentley.
"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 9:44PM #38
davelaw40

TPaine wrote:

But THats my point; Grassley should expilicitly state his authority and basis for investigation.

I fhe thinks the IRS is letting fraudulent religions skate-he should say so.

However, if my faith requires me to live in poverty; while my leader lives an oppulent lifestyle-congress has no business interfering with my deluded lifestyle.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 9:52PM #39
Sacrificialgoddess

davelaw40 wrote:

But THats my point; Grassley should expilicitly state his authority and basis for investigation.

I fhe thinks the IRS is letting fraudulent religions skate-he should say so.

However, if my faith requires me to live in poverty; while my leader lives an oppulent lifestyle-congress has no business interfering with my deluded lifestyle.

Eh, tax them all.  Like businesses, since so many operate that way. That'll take care of the problem.  And what with all the tax shelters and  off-shore accounts that businesses and groups like this use anyway, they probably won't be paying anything anyway.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 8:32AM #40
davelaw40

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Eh, tax them all. Like businesses, since so many operate that way. That'll take care of the problem. And what with all the tax shelters and off-shore accounts that businesses and groups like this use anyway, they probably won't be paying anything anyway.

Can't, taxing even fake religions violates over 400 years of common law- it won't ever happen.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook