Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 7:38AM #1
rbchaddy2000
I am officially Anglican, but my mindset is Unitarian-Universalist. I have a strong interest in maintaining the separation of church and state, and concepts about "God" that are not supernatural theist. The King's Chapel in Boston is fascinating to me. I would like to meet some friends. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 8:34AM #2
bob2
I know an Episcopalian-UU who goes to Episcopal services half the time and UU services the other half.

Spong has ben known to drop in on UU list-serve discussions from time to time.

King's Chapel is a formerly Anglican church in Boston that was the 1st Boston church to be openly Unitarian.

And then there is Jefferson. Wasn't he Anglican?  A Unitarian Anglican I believe ?

welcome.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 9:10AM #3
rbchaddy2000
Bob: Thanks. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 7:01PM #4
DotNotInOz
There was a woman in my former UU church who was a member of both that church and a Lutheran as well, if I recall correctly. Sorry, but that was about 20 years ago, and I don't remember for sure just what the other denomination was.

I recall chatting with her one Sunday about it. She explained that she liked the UU's for the intellectual stimulation and the other church for the rituals and memories as it was her childhood faith.

There's a man in my current church who is officially still on the books as a member but generally attends the United Church of Christ.

So, while it's not common, there are people who maintain dual memberships, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that from a UU perspective.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 9:31AM #5
rbchaddy2000
Dotnotinoz: I have asked the local UUA church about my desire for affiliation. I will remain Episcopalian, too. Theologically, I am UU. I am a humanist open to the existence of a God. I can't accept supernatural theism, but I am not rejecting my quest to seek and understand ultimate reality and being (God). Thanks for the advice. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:11AM #6
DotNotInOz
I do hope that works for you, Richard.

If it weren't for the fact that I find so much of the theology intellectually repulsive, I might still go to a Catholic Mass occasionally. I find UU services somewhat ritually lacking by comparison. The Catholics (and Episcopalians, for that matter) have such a long heritage of grandeur and ability to create atmosphere. A great deal of religious awe results from one's surroundings while "churchy" things are occurring, IMO.

I think possibly that the UU's still reflect their Calvinist heritage a wee bit more than I care for. I like the elaborate decor, candles all over the place, incense and other trappings of Catholicism. But then, perhaps that's just familiarity based in my more impressionable years.

I'd be interested to hear if you feel a similar lack in your UU experience.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 7:59AM #7
rbchaddy2000
DotNotInOz: I do. The Book of Common Prayer According to the use of King's Chapel meets some of these needs. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:13PM #8
bob2
Well that's part of the attraction many UUs have for Paganism!  You get to have the candles and be a rebel at the same time ;-)
-Bob
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:26PM #9
AintKatie
My sis and all my nieces and nephews are Episcopalian. They go to a beautiful old church..small, lots of wood, gothic, nice windows, lots of candles. On special occasions, like the recent christening of my grand-nephew, I join them and thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere, the friendly folks, I sing along or fake along when the hymns are sung, and I love the elegance and mystery of the service. EXCEPT for the God/Jesus parts. I'm silent during that and feel a tad uncomfortable. But not enough to NOT share those special times with people I love. As much as I do enjoy it, and feel in an odd way a member of that congregation, I love getting back to my own UU congregation. That's where I can feel absolutely free to be me and where I know that I am accepted as I am..even encouraged to be as I am.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:35PM #10
AintKatie
Bob, I heard a funny story last Sunday. We had a Witch as our guest speaker and our usual service was Wicca-flavored. The chalice was lit and a few remarks were made about candles, flames, etc. Then we had Joys and Concerns..for which we use glass pebbles and a nice bowl of water. A member got up and expressed her joy that we were no longer using candles for this portion of the service. It seems that, before the glass pebbles, there were candles..and the last time they were used, this woman's shirt shirt got a little hot and smokey..all ended well and now everyone can laugh, she said. And she said our minister SWEARS that's not why the candles were never used again..but she claims she doesn't quite believe it. ;)

We may not have fancy trappings, but our annual Winter Solstice Candlelight Service is quite lovely. Lots of candles, lots of warmth and mood and beautiful music.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook