Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 11:54AM #1
wfpkwoman
Welcome to the new Beliefnet boards! I am glad that you decided to join us. I hope you will find a place for yourself here and enjoy learning about and meeting others.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 3:31PM #2
BillSamuel
This is very confusing.  There are Quaker Forums in at least two places, plus at least one Quaker Group (I guess the difference between a Forum and a Group is that Forums are establishment by the BeliefNet Administration and Groups by individual members).  There is no tie among them.  Was the old system getting too many posts by being easy to navigate, and BeliefNet wanted to cut down the number of posts by creating a Byzantine system where things would be hard to find?

Is there any way to formally join a Forum and getting it on a central register at the member page to make it easy to find the ones a member is interested in again?  I do see that Groups have members, although I couldn't find a way to join (I've tried sending an invitation to myself to join to see if that works).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 8:52AM #3
BillSamuel
I've found one can subscribe to get email updates on a Forum daily or weekly.  There is a Feed mechanism for your main page, but it only seems to apply to a select list of Forums, which doesn't include the Quaker ones.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 10:13AM #4
oceansdaughter
I just took the beliefnet quiz again after two years and got the same answer that I am 100% Orthodox Quaker, so I thought I should start looking into what being a Quaker is all about.  I left the Catholic church three years ago and have been looking at different Christian denominations, the latest one I am trying on is the Methodist church, in some ways a good fit, others not.  So maybe I am a Quaker type of person, I don't know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 6:53PM #5
whitephoenix
Just to intorduce myslef......I'm a ppst-theistic ex-xian-preacher who has been an on/ off attendee at meeting houses for years and I'm now finding that it may be a good spirutal home for a non-theist with a Christian background such as myself so I thought I'd drop in on the boards here. I'm loosely involved with emeregent ideas (although I have a disitinctly post-theistic perpsective on it all) and I also find that Quakerism is a good place to put all this 'emergent energy.' I did a dissertation on quaker spirituality at Bible College and have always had a liking, (an emotionally felt liking) for the Society. Well, that's all just by way of intro......most important thing is I'm intersted in life and living and feel that this board is a good place to discuss conscience-directed-approaches to life
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 2:01AM #6
CatShadow
Just saying Hello.  I have been a visitor for some time, just never posted. 

I too took the quiz about 8months ago, and was correctly recognized as a Liberal Quaker.  Than I started studying and found that I have been a Friend always. I just didn't know it.  I have been searching since early adulthood, and just finally
discovered a people I could possibly be be myself with.  I never could 'go along to get along'.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 12:50AM #7
countrymama
Hi. I just completed the belief-o-matic quiz and the results were 100% orthodox quaker. I found this interesting since I really know nothing about the religion. I'm coming here to learn more.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 4:39AM #8
BillSamuel
[QUOTE=countrymama;916574]Hi. I just completed the belief-o-matic quiz and the results were 100% orthodox quaker. I found this interesting since I really know nothing about the religion. I'm coming here to learn more.[/QUOTE]

Hi.  Feel free to ask questions here, but there don't seem to be many people using this Forum.  You might want to look at the Web site for Friends United Meeting, the largest Orthodox Quaker association, at http://www.fum.org/

You also might want to look at QuakerInfo.com, which has much information and an active Forum, at http://www.quakerinfo.com/
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 11:53PM #9
soul_and_spirit_reborn
I had also gotten the same thing about the 100% Quaker. I would love to learn more about it and meet people who know about it and are willing to tell me what it is like. I am new as well so hiyas!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 9:05AM #10
Pastorbrittgroom

Some people may find this link useful.

http://www.friendschurchsw.org/uploads/faithpractice.pdf

It is quite a bit of information regarding evangelical (orthodox) Quakers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook