Page 8 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
7 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 12:08PM #71
Pam34

waterdragon9 wrote:

I think its more than "an organization of people that hold the same or similar beliefs". These 'organised' religions teach dogma without any allowance for freedom of thought and ideas. Those who question are ostracized. Where is their Love for the individual, their Compassion for all souls? We each carry the Divine spark within us no matter our race or creed, we are ALL children of God and we are all EQUAL!

You  have had, I must suppose, a bad experience with some religious group. From my own experience, I would have to say you are wrong, wrong, wrong! It is not correct to make a blanket statement that all organized religions teach without allowance for freedom of thought, for questioning - we are positively encouraged to do so! There ARE no 'out of bounds' questions and no 'indefensible positions'. Because the 'organization' consists of people, it will have all the drawbacks of ANY group of people. Because the organization we call a 'church' or a 'faith group' consists of people with 'the same or similar beliefs', a person within the group who develops beliefs which are NOT 'the same or similar' will have, inevitably, problems 'fitting in'. But that does not invalidate the group, nor the group's beliefs.

The mere fact that a group of people with the 'same or similar beliefs' are 'organized' does not inevitably imply that the group becomes nothing more than a machine to repeat dogma.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 12:12PM #72
Pam34
I would guess, however, that a religious group/faith that puts a high premium on 'correct belief' (orthodoxy) would be more 'difficult' for some people to find a comfortable place, than other religious/groups/faiths that do not stress correct belief over correct action.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2008 - 6:42AM #73
funnymom721
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell.  Spirituality is for those of us who have already been there.

Peace Out
funnymom
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 10:36AM #74
JL50
The Bible is a guide. There are stories,history and lessons. Jesus didn't choke us
with religion. Man did that. Our individual belief is sacred to each of us. What works
for you may not work for another. We each discover in our way when it is time to know about something.
  I didn't understand what the soul was or knew much about satan or demons until
my fifties. We are made in his image. It is the essence of spirit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 4:30PM #75
spiritalk
The mere fact that a group of people with the 'same or similar beliefs' are 'organized' does not inevitably imply that the group becomes nothing more than a machine to repeat dogma.

But that's just it - there are religions without dogma.  Religion is a community of people to examine spirituality.  To class it as all the same is to dismiss the uniqueness of each individual who ever lived.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 4:47PM #76
zoie_seeks

Pam34 wrote:

Because the organization we call a 'church' or a 'faith group' consists of people with 'the same or similar beliefs', a person within the group who develops beliefs which are NOT 'the same or similar' will have, inevitably, problems 'fitting in'. But that does not invalidate the group, nor the group's beliefs.

No, it invalidates the person and to me THAT is the problem.

Let people be who they are, and love them anyway!

I would like to be in an organization that is like that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2008 - 2:13PM #77
spiritalk
Try Spiritualism Zoie.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2008 - 4:05PM #78
zoie_seeks
That is why I am here J.
The places I go on Bnet are accepting, and a wonderful fellowship for me.
I can learn and ask all the questions that I want. Sometimes I can even offer valuable information of my own.

;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 2:37PM #79
spiritalk
If you check it out, Spiritualism is an organized religion that incorporates all psychic/mediumship abilities in its demonstration.

spiritualism (small s) is the word used to describe psychic abilities at psychic fairs, etc.  so it has lost some of its meaning.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 5:03AM #80
iamgnostic1
GreenEyed Lily, when you said

"I have nothing against religion other than those who LOVE to tell me Im going to hell or that they want to save me! Once I asked - save me from what exactly? And they just left hehehee"

It reminded me of something my husband said once. He was talking about different religions with some co-workers and one was a believer that only a certain number of people will go to heaven, 144,000 ....the rest will not. So my husband said "well if  God and the devil are fighting for souls, and that were true, then wouldn't it mean that the devil won? hehe
I thought that was a pretty good question since they felt most others are going to hell since they don't follow their beliefs.
Just an example of different ways to look at it I guess.
I feel like you, I hate it when people try to tell me they are right and I am going to hell. I won't even get into it with them because I know, for myself, it's between me and God, And he knows what is in my heart. =)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook