Page 9 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 10:52AM #81
Pam34
Religion is a community of people to examine spirituality.

Yes. Which makes the statement 'spiritual but not religious' meaningless nonsense - IMO. 'Spiritual' IS 'religious'. What that statement means is 'spiritual (i.e., religious) without belonging to any recognized religious GROUP'.

OK

And I certainly don't believe they are gong to hell. I don't believe anybody is going to hell.

OTOH - how free form can this 'spirituality' be and still exist as a productive (?) philosophy? If there is a belief in god or some higher power, is there not some corollary that this higher power has some kind of expectation or standards to live by?
Personal only, or community/group? And if there is some community/group expectations, how is that different from 'organized religion/church'? Except in lacking paid clergy, I suppose.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 10:52AM #82
Pam34
Religion is a community of people to examine spirituality.

Yes. Which makes the statement 'spiritual but not religious' meaningless nonsense - IMO. 'Spiritual' IS 'religious'. What that statement means is 'spiritual (i.e., religious) without belonging to any recognized religious GROUP'.

OK

And I certainly don't believe they are gong to hell. I don't believe anybody is going to hell.

OTOH - how free form can this 'spirituality' be and still exist as a productive (?) philosophy? If there is a belief in god or some higher power, is there not some corollary that this higher power has some kind of expectation or standards to live by?
Personal only, or community/group? And if there is some community/group expectations, how is that different from 'organized religion/church'? Except in lacking paid clergy, I suppose.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 9:28AM #83
spiritalk
Spirituality is within each and every person.  Those that attend church find comfort in a group.  Those that do not attend, find comfort in their own pursuits.  Does it occur to anyone that those stating spirituality without religion are frequently replacing their church with the internet?  How many of these groups of spiritual discussion have arisen of late?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 8:31PM #84
CLHazz
Hi, it's been quite a while since I've been here. I only read a few pages and found what I wrote before.  I had thought my spiritual/religious journey had finally come to an end, but having bought The Faith Club book online and am now reading it, one of the book's authors got me thinking again. I was born and raised Catholic, followed it blindly till college, continued to go to mass though I felt like a hypocrite because I diagreed with a whole lot of the church's teachings, so I went in search of other practices, nothing seemed to fit. I had up until today gone back to the Catholic Church because it was all I knew even though I had my qualms and different opinions on things. But how can one follow a religion when you disagree with 99.9% of it, like I do? I went to Mass with a friend of mine tonight because they were having a spaghetti supper and I enjoy being with my guy friend. I felt Nothing during the service, I was unable to repeat what was said and to sing. I was not enlightened. I couldn't wait for the service to end. One of the things I don't like is the kneeling-it hurts my knees. I feel like a robot when I say certain things when I don't believe, paying lip service so to speak.   So my journey is back in full swing, but I think coming here, not just to this forum, but to Beliefnet is....my community my "church" where I am free to question and explore. I think that calling myself spiritual but not religious fits me. I am not a book person in terms of the Bible. It is more freeing and at times challenging to not have a belief system which answers all your questions. I still like to learn about belief systems. Going to Mass didn't feed my soul,  going through all those rituals though familiar was..weird. There are some things that still follow with Catholicism, like following Lent and getting my ashes on Ash wednesday(1st time last year) and still taking communion, but it is clearly out 1: habit, 2: respect, 3: Cultural reasons. I am surrounded by Catholicism. I volunteer at Multidenominational respite program that is run by nuns in an Epispicol church. Everyone around, most people around me don't question their beliefs or struggle, including my guy friend who goes every Sunday morning so without coming to this site I would be totally alone about my feelings or would feel alone. During a part of my journey I tried out Unitarism, and thought it a good match. I tried out the local church, though I like the services I attended, I had a hard time  meeting new people, I am shy and feel better going to a service of any kind with someone that I know, unfortunately for me that service is most of the time Catholic and I am just not a regular church goer anyway. Doing things my own way seems like the way to go for me. Thank you to anyone that has read this far and read my spiritual journey on a thread that wasn't titled Your Spiritual Journey.  Bless you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2008 - 10:02AM #85
spiritalk
Being true to yourself and living from your own heart is the best spiritual lesson you will ever learn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 4:40AM #86
waterdragon9
How true spiritalk. I wonder how this is accomplished when one is in an organisation that preaches that to be a member you must believe in everything being preached?
Blessings to all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 11:18AM #87
spiritalk
We never go wrong following our own heart.  Perhaps a congregation that ostracizes those who do not follow the line word for word is not for the progressive mind and heart?  Spirituality within the heart is the most important aspect of life's journies.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 9:16AM #88
BBarton
Religion will tell you to follow and support it to get to heaven when you die.  But it is too often like a big fat baby that never grows up.  It demands attention, resourses, and energy, but it will be here once you've joined all the others who sacrificed for it -in the grave.

Spirit says don't let anything including religion come between you and the Divine I Am, and enter the Kingdom of Heaven, which is spread out, but many can't see.

We are told to love God with all our heart, mind, and soul.  I find it difficult and a distraction if people are giving unloving looks or remarks when trying to force others to conform; therefore, I go to where I can worship with all my heart, mind, and soul.  -A place without manmade ceilings, which limit thought, experience, and knowledge of the Divine, I Am.

Peace -B
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2008 - 6:45AM #89
True2onespirit
As I get older and somewhat wiser, 'tis only now that I am starting to seek out others with similar spiritual but non-religious beliefs and having read every one of the comments in this thread, I am truly fascinated with the spiritual conversation that has taken place.

I find myself quite aligned with spiritalk, yet have always distanced myself from their being a God. Fascinating it would be to know how one almighty being could create a world of such diversity and extremism - love and hate, greed and poverty, health and sickness... the list goes on. I would love to know exactly the website or group referred to for Spiritualism. And other than to know that it is written with much warmth, I am unsure what the 'God' represents in her final words on every occasion - God Bless.

I also found myself quite aligned with religionfree when she was first writing at the beginning of this thread. The one interesting point made when it comes to religion was of 'tolerance' rather than 'acceptance' as written by another blogger. I find tolerance to mean that you put up with something, but would prefer it wasn't around in the first instance. For me, religion is not of tolerance but more of acknowlegment. I acknowledge the happiness that religion may bring to someone's life, which together with excellent health should be our first desires for ourselves and everyone we know.

Personally I find religion to be too constricting and as other readers have noted - judgmental. Most religion is based on writings from up to thousands of years ago that can no longer apply in today's society, but are expected to. While there are certainly off-shoot religions trying to modernize their offering for it to be more accepting, I find there is nothing appealing about the core value of giving yourself entirely to another entity.

For me, Spiritalk very wisely wrote - Be True To Thyself - exactly how I feel about now and the future. I feel strongly that we are of spirit and earth bound as a physical beings to learn and grow in this life. Our connections to the spirit world come every day through our thoughts and our inspiration, our intuition and our ideas and our connection to other earth bound spirits who bring with them important teachings to help us move forward. It is of our essence to do what is best for our individual growth, to do what's right because it brings its own personal rewards and to help others, especially those who may not be as lucky as we may find ourselves to be.

As a Spiritualist, I feel it's more important to share my energy and lead a life of example than to stand in front of an audience and preach what to do today, who to like, what's acceptable in society and only abide by the writings of a particular religious book.

Importantly for me, at the end of every day and when I can in the middle of it, I give thanks to my spirit guides - thanks for my health, thanks for the food on my table, the roof over my head, the love of my family and friends, the use of all 6 senses and the lessons I've learnt from the experiences placed before me.

And I give thanks to you for reading my thoughts and giving your own...
Geoff x
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2008 - 3:19PM #90
erthmohr
To me it's just simply being who I am without trying to explain it.
When I go into explanations I loose my meaning and end up searching to find it.
I AM,
Donna
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 9 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook