7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 1:55PM #1
BeliefnetCheryl
Welcome to the Falun Gong  community!  Please introduce yourself in this thread.

Please feel free to start new discussions by creating a new thread. Or bring over a topic from the old board using copy and then paste into a new thread.

This board is currently without a host. If you would be interested in hosting, please send an email to us at community@beliefnetstaff.com.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 11:00AM #2
AnamCara
Hello Cheryl,  I'm pleased to find  this forum- how do we get this  started? I'm a fresh beginer to Falun Gong and am currently reading the primary text Zhuan Falun may we begin there?

Anam Cara
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 11:01PM #3
Christ241
I saw a post at the previous forum about some guy practicing martial arts and starting to read Zhuan Falun.
I have practiced martial arts for a very long time. I was actually looking for a true Taoist cultivation method. Living in this bizarre society, I ran across all sorts of things, thus I spent many years studying in various schools and eventually found what I was looking for. But even this wasn't what I was *really* looking for.
It is a tiring life to be addicted to martial arts. And I was. When I started practicing/cultivating Falun Gong, it took me a little while to let go of practicing martial arts, no matter how 'righteous' it seemed and how subtle the fighting mentality was.
I can go on all night about the virtues of Falun Gong. Not sure anyone will even visit here soon. It's a start :-).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 3:39AM #4
InuoftheBuddhaFa
Greetings! I have been practicing Falun Dafa/Gong for three months or so and am glad to have found this website to offer to and receive help from fellow practitioners. I am also a martial artist and have been training for about three years now. I have a question for possibly a more knowledgeable practitioner than I. Master Li states that when a person strikes another that there is a transaction of de from the striker to the striked and karma from the striked to the striker. In martial arts as most know there is constant sparring and pain training which deals with striking each other. However it is not out of anger or anything of the such. Rather it is to benefit the fellow martial artist. So my question is that if two martial artists are sparring or helping each other with pain training even if it meant pure heartedly by both martial artists to benefit and help each other grow, is there still the same karma and de transaction?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 7:55PM #5
noahm
This is just my understanding, but there would essentially be no net loss or gain as long as the sparring was relatively even sided.  The amount compared to the overall amount in your field is relatively small anyway.  It is more the mental part of a practitioner that has a greater effect on karma/de.  For example, if you punched a child for no reason, and punched your sparring partner ten times harder, it is likely that the child incident would acrue more karma for you and a greater loss of de as the debt on the mental level would be significantly more even though the physical punch was the opposite.  That is usually a more clear standard to measure with, the debt on the mental level (anger, humiliation etc that will be owed).  I have practiced for several years (not that it matters).  Hope I could shed some perspective on that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 9:06PM #6
hua-hua
Hello.

What a great and solemn forum for communication!

Thanks to beliefnet ahead of time, and especially to any participants in this Falun Gong forum.  I joined to participate in this forum's conversation.  It is so important for us to openly honor and have this sacred conversation.

I am a practitioner from a relatively remote region of the Appalachian mountains, so i would love opportunities to share insights of fellow practitioners and students of our upright cultivation principles from many environments.

I have been involved in cultivation practice since early 1999 and hope we may mature the fruits of insight on this discourse in this open forum!  Thanks so much.

Of course, hopefully the crucial links should be available often in this thread for those initially collecting information on the study of Falun Gong.  A good starting place for folks like this is  http://www.faluninfo.net/.

Falun Dafa Hao!  Falun Gong is truly great, principles for upright moral and character development!

Everyone, this discourse is truly sacred.
Glad to meet anyone who's found their way into this forum.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 11:37AM #7
SecondSonOfDavid
Greetings.

I would like to learn more.  I am a fundamentalist Christian (in the sense that I try to live as the Christ originally and personally taught), but I am also a practicing Jedi (of the Realist school).  I am fascinated by the use of martial arts in Falun Gong, as Jedi also use martial arts, although in a less structured fashion.

Can you tell me what Falun Gong is based on in theory, and is it unified or a more diverse community?

Thank you for your consideration.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2009 - 8:42AM #8
Falungong

Hello, my name is Andrew, (bodhi) and have been invovled with Dafa since 1999 and have also some experience with martial arts.

My understanding is that Martial arts are an everyday skill and as such can be practiced by Falun Gong practitioners in the course of their lives ;however, higher levels of martial skills are developed via spiritual cultivation and have little to do with practicing strikes and blows, kicks, evasion, grappling etc. 

Having said that our mind must be right, and the ego development that accompanies the physical prowess martial engenders can be an obstacle to cultivation practice. Also, there is a caution agains the mind becoming crude through martial arts practice.

Personally, I do not think it is coincidence that the subject of Wusu is bordered by the text 'our mind must be right' and the desire to show of in Zhuan Falun

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook