Switch to Forum Live View What do you like about your church?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 11:41AM #1
Beliefnetsabee
What do you like about the MCC? Locally and/or nationally? Please share your wonderful stories.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 5:59PM #2
archiecat1
Our little town is diverse in so many ways that even the Fundamentalist are friendly loving neighbors.  We were members of the Russian River MCC till our addiction got in the way and we were dropped from the rolls because we rarely attended services. So when we got into recovery a few years ago, we started attending our local Catholic Church. My partner of 19 years is a cradle Catholic and we decided we wanted to attend service together.We were recieved with warm loving arms and I became a Catholic last year.
Our Church makes us feel young as many of the members are retired.!LOL Our priest is a smart caring guy who does what priests do with courage and good humor.
The United Church of Christ congregation is a great bunch too. Very progressive and active. We have a lot of community meetings. 12 Step recovery meetings and other gatherings in the buildings of both churches. MCC meets in Odd Fellows Hall, but we all run into each other all over the place. We are grateful that our town has something for just about everyone, and that all our local congregations are as comfortable with each other as they are. So whether it's a fund raiser for the schools, or with  bingo night with the Sisters Of Perpetual Indulgence, or the Community Holiday Parade or  St. Elizabeth's Christmas Dinner or just Passover at the Vet's Hall, gay, straight, Atheist, agnostic or true believer our similarities are greater than our differences.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 6:09PM #3
Mareczku
I thought this story was very heartwarming.  It is wonderful when people of all faiths can be accepting and show love to each other.  To me this is what Christianity is all about.  I am a devout Catholic but I feel love for all people.  I am glad that many churches has an ecumenical spirit today.  It sounds like you live in a wonderful town.

Peace on Earth to Men of Goodwill - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 1:05PM #4
Do_unto_others

If you ever get to Toronto, check out MCCT, especially in February when we celebrate Black History Month - THE best gospel music you will ever hear. Plus, the pastor Rev. Dr. Brent Hawkes is a dynamic preacher. He performed the world's first legally recognized same-sex marriage in 2001. He has since been named to the Order of Canada.

Well worth a visit.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook