Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 4:36PM #1
BeliefnetComforter

Many times when we speak of the figures in Black History our minds go directly to the men behind the cause leaving the women as a mere afterthought. But now it is time to give them a platform. Who are the woman of the past and present that inspire you? I'll start with my favorites...

Maya Angelou for writing beautiful poetry that has moved my heart..."Still, I Rise"

Oprah Winfrey for breaking down the racial barriers in television to become one of--if not the most--successful daytime talk show host.

Condoleeza Rice for pressing forward to such a position of major influence. Democrat or Republican, did we ever think we would see a black woman with such influence over the president?  

My mother--can I get sentimental for a moment--she is just the best. 

Share Yours... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 10:43AM #2
SisterSearching

Quote of the Day

"Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: 'I'm with you kid. Let's go.'"
– Maya Angelou

Christians
by Maya Angelou

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
that a man should have to seek Him first to find her."

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'" I 'm whispering "I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say... "I am a Christian" I don't speak of this with pride. I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not trying to be strong.  I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not bragging of success.  I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not claiming to be perfect, My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I still feel the sting of pain. I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not holier than thou, I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Pretty is as Pretty does... but beautiful is just plain beautiful!

I admire Maya for not only her poety but her wisdom, her spirit and her character.  She exudes a level of poise and grace that so many in her generation and generations before exampled as african american women despite their struggles through poverty, racism and injustices.  I look back in history at them Lena Horne, Sojourner Truth, Rosa Parks always walking with confidence despite there fears, a sense of pride and community.  We lack that so much today and it saddens me, seeing how instead of pulling each up many a times were too busy trying to keep up with the jones's ( Who are the Jones's anyway?) LOL

Sharon

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2009 - 9:27PM #3
ALLTOGETHER

Peace,

My mother..  She stood up for her children.  She had a way of teaching and training us in ways that we really understood.  I really did know what she had in mind for me.  Thanks mamma.  I never told her in person what she meant to me. Love you mamma in my own way.  May God have favor on you!

Peace, Wardah/Rose

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook