Switch to Forum Live View June July 2012: 1-10 scale rating your mood
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 4:10PM #1
P_h_i_l_i_p
Hi. I'm Philip.  I'm reading Beyond Blue and want to see if I can be in an online support group for depression here.  One tool they've used here is this scale to rate your mood or functioning level.  You read the scale, decide which number you are on and write a post describing your situation a bit and telling your scale number.

I'm 59 yo married man, retired teacher and grandfather of my daughter's two kids ages 5 and 2.  We all live together right now while my daughter and son-in-law get their careers going.  I had to retire from teaching high school chemistry in Los Angeles about 4 years ago because my depression was leading to me having anger outbursts in the classroom.  My depression has been longstanding, most all of my life starting around high school age.  I drank heavily in college and after for about 10 years altogether until I got married, started going to church and started taking Prozac.  Now I'm taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin, and I'm not sure how well they're working.  I'm sleeping OK, eating a bit too much, out of bed functioning every day but feeling negative most of the time.  I think I'm at number 5 on the scale, and I'd like to think I can do better than that.  My wife works a good job earning a good salary, but she has almost no retirement savings so it looks like she will have to work for many more years.  I'm on a teacher's pension, not working right now and trying to figure out where we are heading over the next 5 or 10 years.  I feel better when I exercise, but I don't feel like exercising these days so mostly I don't.  I drive my wife places because she doesn't drive, I watch my grandchildren for my daughter sometimes, we go to Mass every Sunday and I go to the grocery store a lot, but that's almost all I'm doing.  I think I need to get a job and/or join a Bible study and/or something else to get more human interaction, but I'm not motivated enough to make it happen right now.  Hopefully I'll find some folks who want to do a sort of group therapy online here.

Here is the scale:

(1) total despair and hopelessness; extreme,  unbearable, emotional pain; dwelling on thoughts of suicide with  concrete plans to act on thoughts.

(2) Deep despair and feelings of isolation; considerable emotional suffering and distress; virtually bedridden.

(3-4)  feeling of deep gloom and sadness; desire to isolate from others; a  sense of drifting aimlessly with noticeably impaired functioning and  thought.

(5) generally gloomy and sad, but with periods of  feeling somewhat content; some feelings of loneliness but not yet a  desire to isolate from others; still, no desire to actively seek out  others to be with; some impairment of functioning and thought, with some  extra effort and concentration needed to get the job done; a sense of  perhaps drifting aimlessly through life at times.

(6) general  feelings of contentment, but perhaps with some mild anxiety or sadness;  apparently little impairment of function and thought; enjoys  companionship of others; goal and future oriented.

(7-8) Fairly  strong sense of peace and contentment, of gratefulness and of  connectedness to others; functioning almost at "the top of one's game"  acts according to fairly strong sense of values and purpose.

(9)  Deep sense of joy and gratefulness; deep feeling of being part of  something larger than one's self with a deep sense of meaning and  purpose; functions "in the zone", or "at the top of one's game.

(10)  state of ecstasy or bliss, of feeling at-one with the universe, the  Infinite, or the Holy; functioning is effortless and ingrained or  internalized to the point of being thoughtless
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 7:59AM #2
belleo

7-8) Fairly  strong sense of peace and contentment, of gratefulness and of  connectedness to others; functioning almost at "the top of one's game"  acts according to fairly strong sense of values and purpose

Hi , I'm Catholic also . I use to go to daily Mass . Depression for me started when I was a child . There wa much abuse in  our family . My life is so much better since forgiveness has entered my life .   Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2012 - 6:42PM #3
Mrsmilton

Jun 26, 2012 -- 7:59AM, belleo wrote:

7-8) Fairly  strong sense of peace and contentment, of gratefulness and of  connectedness to others; functioning almost at "the top of one's game"  acts according to fairly strong sense of values and purpose

Hi , I'm Catholic also . I use to go to daily Mass . Depression for me started when I was a child . There wa much abuse in  our family . My life is so much better since forgiveness has entered my life .   Marie

Maybe sub in a school when you want to will do it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 days ago  ::  Oct 19, 2014 - 5:04AM #4
Champagne831

Jun 26, 2012 -- 7:59AM, belleo wrote:

I'm 32 yrs old have 2 kids ages 3 and 6, I recently separated from their father who is an abusive alcoholic and I grew up in an abusive alcoholic household and also drug abuse was present as well.I have anger issues, patience issues, drug addiction but past 3 yrs have been alcohol-free I find it very difficult to deal with myself and my depression especially sober. I took anti-depressants at one time but had to stop because I was abusing them. My # is a 3-4 and sometimes 5 I am very anti-social but lonely as well .

Stitch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 days ago  ::  Oct 19, 2014 - 8:54PM #5
belleo

Hi Phillip...

(7-8) Fairly  strong sense of peace and contentment, of gratefulness and of  connectedness to others; functioning almost at "the top of one's game"  acts according to fairly strong sense of values and purpose.

I reread my post of last year . The scale is the same .I am coping with health isuues and anger .Family life is the pits at times . At 70 years old I just don't know what the future holds. When my thinking gets foggy I turn to Jesus in prayer .I go to Mass most weeks . Sometimes I am just too sick to go . The thing is for me to centre myself on Jesus  instead of problems . This Wednesday I am getting my Thyroid removed . I'm a bit apprehensive but with Jesus , Mary and Joseph I am just fine .

Years ago I was part of a group who did teachings on the Holy Spirit .When reading and sharing scripture passages I grew to love the lord . I would sit and red my Jerusalem Bible late at night . The Word of God forms us . I find it is so important to get in the Word .

Community was also important to me .I received much help form people praying for me .

Phillip, I am lifting you up in prayer .Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook