Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are we reading ?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 5:13AM #1
belleo
Bernard, of Clairvaux, Saint (1090-1153)
Description: What is love? In his text On Loving God, St. Bernard surveys the four types of love that Christians experience as they grow in their relationship with God: loving one's self, selfish love, loving God as God, and loving one's self in God. St. Bernard reminds us that not only did God give us life, but He gave us Himself. For indeed, "God deserves to be loved very much, yea, boundlessly, because He loved us first, He infinite and we nothing, loved us, miserable sinners, with a love so great and so free." St. Bernard reminds us that we are indebted to God for his love and His sacrifice. Not only should we love God because it is what He deserves, but also because loving God does not go without reward. Loving God is to our advantage. The Lord rewards those who love Him with the blessed state of the heavenly Fatherland, where sorrow and sadness cannot enter. St. Bernard's medieval prose is poetic and full of clever imagery. His work is as beautiful as it is knowledgeable.

Emmalon Davis
CCEL Staff Writer
Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 6:48AM #2
Stephenway

As St. Bernard says, self-love is one form of love.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems there are more and more lovers of their own selves.

Love for another can be shown in sacrificing a part of one's self for another: time, prayer, kind acts, assistance.  Love for another can be a way of showing love for God.  As Jesus said, "If ye do it for one of the least of these my brethren..."

Pretended love is another thing.  People can pretend to love when they are expecting something in return.  I think one good example of that is politicians, but of course there are many other examples.

Love ya', Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 9:24AM #3
annie

i belleo, and stephan,, i am reading the book The Message,,and we are also reading it in my bible study group,,,being that i am very literal it is a good book about the bible, and interrupts all the different meanings,,, for me that is ,  annie 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 5:48PM #4
belleo

Hi friends !  I am reading a book by Kenneth W. Peters , Alba House.  The name of the book is ,"The MASS : Our life Journey .

In 64 brief meditations on each detail of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the reader is led to a deeper appreciation of that celebration which has been at the center of the spiritual formation of the faithful from the time it was instituted by Christ 2000 years ago. In the Introductory Rites, for example, we pilgrims on the spiritual journey go through a puritying formation. We repent of our sins and faults and God cleanses us. In the Liturgy of the Word, we are enlightened in the ways in which we can imitate Christ who instructs and accompanies us on our day by day journey through life. And in the Liturgy of the Eucharist, we are invited to the banquet of the Lord where we are nurtured and given the strength to live the Christian life in our daily pursuits. The body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ become our food and bring about in us a unifying transformation wherein we surrender to God in faith and trust, and the Blessed Trinity deepens its life in us. In breaking down each part of the Mass in this fashion, the book confronts the reader with practical challenges for action as it opens up the hidden mysteries of the Holy Sacrifice that we so often take for granted.

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 4:03AM #5
Memory4340

I'm reading 'The Grace Walk' by Steve Mcvey' and 'The Land of Painted Caves' by Jean Auel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 10:24PM #6
belleo

I am reading :  A hospitality of caregiving by Henri Nouwen .

If you provide care for another person, whether you are a family member or a professional caregiver, you know that caregiving is hard, sometimes unappreciated work. But have you ever considered that it isn't easy to be the care receiver?

“Caregiving is ... about forming a relationship with another whom we might never have chosen to know. It is about doing all we do practically with the intention of growing into a relationship of respect, listening, presence, and truthfulness," Henri Nouwen writes.

From the heart of Henri Nouwen comes wisdom for the caregiver about the transformational power of relationship in the unique bond between caregiver and care receiver. Interlacing stories from his own life and the lives of friends, Nouwen communicates warmth and compassion as he shares insights on what it means to be a caregiver and to be cared for.

Whether you have chosen to be a caregiver or were thrust into the role by circumstances, you'll see how important and life-changing your work is. You'll also be encouraged by this beloved author who has been called one of the most influential spiritual writers of our time.

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 7:30AM #7
The_fireinside

I am reading the stategy of satan How to defeat and detect him

by warren W Wiersbe

interesting book

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 1:32AM #8
Estacia

Almost finished with the Five people you meet in heaven.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 9:23PM #9
samie

Hi there stacey, soooo glad to see you again, it's been awhile hasn't ?!!     I've read the book you mentioned, and saw the movie, both were great,

I think you would really enjoy this book very much, i know i did, i've read it 3 times and i'll more than likely read it again, you should check it out ~~ it touches on subjects that we've all wondered about, its a great fiction story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 2:41PM #10
P_h_i_l_i_p

The Mass: Our Life Journey sounds like a great help to the challenge of staying engaged spiritually in Mass, something I think most of us need.  I'm new, reading Beyond Blue and enjoying it.  My depression is longstanding and partially controlled by meds so I don't seem to have the great fear of becoming suicidal again that seems to drive Therese to work so hard at keeping her neurotransmitters up to speed.  I guess I mostly need motivation to work harder at achieving Beyond Blue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook