Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View The Church+Mental Illness
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 11:40AM #31
Weeble75

Marie, I can relate to what you're talking about. Seems to me that the Catholic practice of assigning a priest by a Bishop for an exorcism is part of the wisdom of the church's tradition; tread cautiously where demonization is concerned.

BTW, a long time ago I was greatly influenced by the line of reasoning pursued by someone I was listening to about demons; he did not distinguish between demon possession, demon oppression or any of these other sub-categories that get batted around; he called it ALL demonization. Makes sense to me, and saves a lot of time that might be otherwise spent splitting hairs. Likewise, I tend to use "deliverance" or "deliverance ministry" to refer to anything involving spiritual warfare to free someone from the presence, power and/or influence of an evil spirit.

One other thing that I've learned that would be easy for you to follow up and consider; go to www.biblegateway.com and have it search for "spirit of" (in quotes). It's not hard to do. I just re-did that, doing a search on The New American Standard Bible, the King James Bible, and for a Catholic perspective, the Darby translation (only Catholic-sponsored translation they had). When the Bible authors used "spirit of" followed by a characteristic (be it lies, wisdom, jealousy, judgment, deep sleep, heaviness, whoredoms, grace, infirmity, divination, holiness, bondage, adoption, meekness, truth, error, prophecy--I think that gets most of them), I rarely if ever sense that they are referring to a spiritual being who is identified that way. More often, it has the sense of "controlling attitude" (like the spirit of jealousy or of infirmity), a generic description of a more specific spirit (like whatever the spirit of divination in Acts was), and very frequently it is used to describe an aspect of God's spirit (such as the spirit of Elijah which came on Elisha). There are a few others, but this captures most of it. Don't take my word for it--as I said earlier, doing a search at Biblegateway.com is pretty easy. Actual spiritual beings (i.e., demons) appear to have a name, not a description, such as "Legion, for we are many", and the incident where a demon was being asked for his name so that he could be commanded in the name of Jesus to leave.

The "controlling attitude" definition as applied to the "spirit of infirmity" in Luke 13 is suggested by Dr. Seamands as a possible example of an actual healing of we today would identify as a mental illness. He suggests that the "spirit of infirmity" was a deep depression accompanied by an abysmally low self-esteem, which in turn caused her to go around bent over, in what we would now call a psychosomatic (soul<->body) effect. He also notes that Jesus laid his hands on her, which is something He never did in the case of a demoniac. I'm not questioning that you found real relief in rebuking the "spirit of lies', I only say that I have serious concerns about these "generic spirits", which can be extended to almost anything if one is inclined to do so.

What you're referring to in the healing of memories related to childhood abuse I've found to be remarkably similar to the treatment of PTSD; in PTSD treatment, a person relives the traumatic experience, but in a guided way so as to be able to process what happened at a manageable pace. In the healing of memories as described by Dr. Seamands (BTW, his book "Healing for Damaged Emotions" is available used thru Amazon.com for a penny--yes, a penny--plus $3.99 S&H [of course] ), a similar guided experience is used, but one that consciously brings Christ into the picture as the one who guides a person thru the memories, bringing healing in the process. Again--powerful book.

That's my 2c, FWIW.

Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 11:20PM #32
belleo

Hi Mike , through the gifts of the Holy Spirit the group that prayed for me knew what was bothering me . Some had the gift of knowledge , some the giftt of prophecy etc. There was no reliving of the trauma experienced as a child .Peace reigned and the healing presence of the Spirit of God was with me .

There are some priests in the healing ministry that do not say spirit of anger or what have you . They don't think it is a necessity .Like before we would start a praise meeting the leader would pray that any spirit here present that could  interfere with praise and worship I bind in the blood of Jesus and I send  it to Jesus   So in a session with the healing team I was told to renounce the spirit of irritability and I did . I knew that to be true .

I have read many books over the years  on deliverance . I think some of the people who write these books are in dire need of deliverance .LOL I was in the healing ministry at one time and not once did we tell someone they needed deliverance . W did pray- that is one thing we did . The prayer Jesus gave us the Our father now that is one prayer to really pray ...

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 5:43AM #33
shocharah

Back in the days I was a church-goer, I was friends with an Episcopalian priest who was quite wonderful in helping me cope with my illness, assuring me that it was not that God was punishing me for something. He worked with some of my parts to help bring them into the present so I could work with them. I was truly blessed to know this man. As far as I know, I didn't allow the members of the congregation in on "the secret" of my illness. Whether they would have still accepted me, I don't know, but I think they would have.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 7:50PM #34
belleo

I thought I would reread the posts of a few years ago . They are still relevant Sad that sio many hae left BNet .  Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook