Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Limits of Reason
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2008 - 10:21PM #11
Frank Burton

Not when I sleep on my chin -- then my beard looks just like William James'!

Frank

(Hmmm...sleep...not a bad idea. C'y'all!) 

Frank Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 7:22PM #12
indep
No doubt erudite reasoning can build the hypothesis for example, in approaching a certain situation?  Yet to function in the situation, one needs to intuit which way the wind blows.   Empathy can help us identify how another is feeling, putting us in their shoes so as to assess the situation.   And whatever happened to common sense, whose demise I much mourn?Cry
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 8:03PM #13
pragmatic idealist
To quote the inimitable John Prine: "it don't make much sense that common sensedon't make no sense no more"
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 10:08PM #14
Frank Burton

Hi Indep,

Common sense is indeed what we need more of, and what our sponsor group, COR, is peddling (for free, of course.) It is a very powerful tool -- the basic rules of reason seasoned with a willingness to keep one's perceptual (including intuitive) windows open.

Problem is, in a world bursting from its seams with people, we masses do tend to settle into a herd instinct.

We're not only running with the bulls -- we are the bulls! 

Frank 

Frank Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 12:01AM #15
wyrmy

Intolerance quickly leads to violence, tolerance leds to more and more craziness until you get the same result. We judge law by the factor we cannot ever know, that of motive and intent. People can kill themselves and others in this world for a promised afterlife, but cannot put money in savings for retirement. We think that letting bullies have their way will somehow make them change their ways. Even men that consider themselves equal will consider themselves as little more equal than there fellows. Pure democracy leads to bread and circuses, pure communism leads to people having lying matches about who has more need.

So, do not tell me "common sense" is becoming rare, it has always been the rarest of gems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 4:53PM #16
Frank Burton

Hi Wyrmy,

I agree that bread and circuses (or opiates for the decadent masses), and communism, each have in common the People's absence of common sense.

Yes, it is exceedingly rare.

But is it not possible to legislate, not common sense itself, but a requirement to live by common sense, into our society?

Is our "more perfect union" not trying to do that?  Are we not trying to inculcate laws seeking to balance our consumerism-crazed, every-man-for-himself "ownership society" with laws requiring or encouraging personal responsibility, environmental awareness, and ethical business practices, that seek to prevent extreme short-term thinking and criminal behavior?

Do we not indeed have it better off than we used to, and better off than many other cultures now have it?

Frank 

Frank Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 9:31PM #17
CLeo
About running with the bulls....every July 7th, in Pamplona, Spain. Hemingway wrote a great book about this....and we're worse than the bulls.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 2:27AM #18
pragmatic idealist

Wyrmy,

I think "common sense" symbolizes that mythical past where we each knew our role: think small rural town a century ago. In a closed system or when looking back with the benefit of hindsight, things just seem obvious.

I think the rate of change and instability in our culture makes "common sense" obsolete; our choices are too wide open and the consequences too uncertain. 

Intolerance is another term for wanting to control others, so of course it leads to violence. I'm not sure though why tolerance leads to craziness. Are you talking about your mother-in-law? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 3:37PM #19
CLeo

No, sorry, common sense keeps us safe. Intelligence by itself doesn't, nor does reason. Many are faulty thinkers, and whatever is "Reasonable" or "reason" to them it isn't for them of for the rest of us.

Common sense is, to an extent,  instinctove. Some have it and that keeps them from starying into danger, others have never honed their ability.
To say that commons sense symboliszes a mythical past, it's utter nonsense!

The change and instability of our culture, very general terms to describe... what exactly? It actually makes common sense, intuition, very important, unfortunately, many have not been exposed enough to the world in general or never had a chance to cultivate it, otherwise they wouldn't be led by the nose into fighting a senseless war, buying a house they can't afford, procreating with abandon, voting for Bush, or believing that the US is the best, most advanced and most democratic country in the world which it isn't, not when it comes to protecting those without common sense or reasoning powers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 5:33PM #20
pragmatic idealist

Common sense is the instinctive knowledge of what is right based on a shared worldview. I saw the US standard of common sense that was forged in WWII and largely continue through the 50's fall apart in the 60's. Each side of the generation gap, driven largely by Viet Nam, had it's own "common sense"; truths so evidentthat those held by the other side were incomprehensible. 

As Obama has repeatedly noted, the partisan divide today is a product of the 60's and needs to be buried once and for all. Lets hope he succeeds in creating a largely post-partisan nation that can once again share a positive American worldview; a new common sense.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook