Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View The Limits of Reason
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 5:24PM #21
Frank Burton

Pragma, you're falling into a trap by accepting a false social convention as the definition of common sense.

What people have often referred to as "common sense" isn't.

What they are trying to do is rationalize their unquestioned assumptions by calling them common sense: "Why, son, everbody knows that two men datin' just ain't right!"

(Or, 50 years ago, "Why, girl, everbody knows that datin' a n***** just ain't right!")

Such folks are trying to pawn a cubic zirconium as a diamond.

Common sense, itself, is "good sense and sound judgment in practical matters; a sane and realistic attitude to real world situations and problems."

Nothing wrong with that.

Only when people stop preaching common sense and start using it will social turmoil begin to ease off.

Frank

Frank Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 5:29PM #22
hyperiongal
Does "Common" sense even exist? Everyone seems to have differing opinions, as is evidenced by these forums. Are we speaking about an illusion? Hyperiongal
Trust the Process
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 7:51PM #23
Joyville2

Good point hyperiongal.

I've experienced the same wondering about "morals" in another group when someone was trying to start a conversation about what is moral." Morals"  can be interpreted so differently among individuals, just as we see with what is perceived is "common sense."

Another illusion? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 12:14PM #24
pragmatic idealist

We're talking past each other. Sense is "perception, feeling, meaning". Sometimes as a society, we have a shared (common - "shared, community, corporate, public") sense of things such as during WWII.

I know sense, plain sense, horse sense, common sense, are used interchangeably currently, but I'm trying to refer to a more literal meaning for "common sense". A meaning no longer common.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 3:36AM #25
CLeo

"I know sense, plain sense, horse sense, common sense, are used interchangeably currently, but I'm trying to refer to a more literal meaning for "common sense". A meaning no longer common."

such as....? something not so common, as in a bit more pedantic? real? allogamous, maybe?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 2:55PM #26
Frank Burton

The very fact that we employ talking here is common sense -- the very use of language as a means of persuasion and edification is moral.

We are using bullet points instead of bullets. Bellissimo

Yes, we may indeed talk past one another in our efforts to define the "extremes" of human behavior that common sense and morality are thought to include -- but it is a glorious success that much of what we humans each call common sense and morality, we share.

So say your piece -- contribute to humanity's morality and common sense.

Frank 

Frank Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook