Switch to Forum Live View A wonderful Art therapy learned in the nick of time
6 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 1:20PM #1
NIghtPoet

We recently had to spend a month in the local Childrens hospital with our daughter due to a staph infection.  A month in the hospital is rough on anyone much less a 13 year old with Aspergers Syndrome..  She started clamming up and "shutting down" as it were so I went to the Family resource room and hopped on their computers and found where a DR had begun using coloring Mandala's to help his patients so I tried it and printed up LOTS of color page mandalas for her and she perked up after being "told" to color one and give it a try.  She opened back up some and it was not as bad as it could have been for the last 2 weeks of the hospital stay.

She still even now will color some every now and then to relax after a long stressful day.  I am so glad we found that article and wish I could find it again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 11:43PM #2
sojournersunday
What a wonderful idea!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 10:02AM #3
Cheryl3

Art is great for taking you outside your circumstances.To me ,it is a spiritual thing ,because when I'm drawing or painting,I do enter a different place in my mind and I don't want to return to "normal" life.If you have a piece of paper,pencil,pen and your imagination working ,it's amazing what you can create.I used to believe that what's the point of sitting and doodling but you know what?It's a lot cheaper than a phsyciatrist and a lot more fun!

Love ,blessings and doodling till your hand hurts(in a good way!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2008 - 10:53PM #4
melissaB

Coloring in coloring books  and cutting out paperdolls remain two of the best things to occupy hospital patients. I colored while  sitting with my mom in the hospital for a week to keep myself less stressed. I even got a new box of 64 crayola crayons as a real treat! 

Dover books puts out great coloring books that are more grown up and have a wide assortment of topics. Their web site has free coloring pages. I looked up Mandalas on line and found some free coloring pages as well as some books to buy. Maybe she'll like to do somemore even at home.

It is so great you could find something so helpful at just the right time. Blessingas to you and your daughter, MelissaB

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 3:26PM #5
Bethlove

Beautiful!!

What a wonderful tool for you beautiful sensitive daughter.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpx4X8I_4E

(about half way through she talks about the Crystals)

The Crystals are here to bring love. They are even more super sensitive to energies than the Indigos and are even more psychic. Some characteristics of a Crystal child are that they learn to speak at a much later age (often after 3, 4 or even 5 years old). They are most commonly misdiagnosed with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome." Similarly, Doreen Virtue writes, "The trouble comes about when the Crystals are judged by medical and educational personnel as having 'abnormal' speaking patterns. It's no coincidence that as the number of Crystals are born, that the number of diagnoses for autism is at a record high." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 6:16PM #6
Reach6
I , also, find painting mandalas a relaxing and creative activity.  I painted my first one - although I didn't have a name for it then, as a young woman.  I worked with a group of high-end retarded young adults.  It started out as an Easter egg painting activity, but my eggs turned into intricate objects with tiny shapes and colors spiraling around the girth of the eggs.  I began to make them for friends and family as special gifts.  But, because they were so delicate, they usually ended up broken.  I tried filling them with plaster, with poor results, then went on to wooden eggs, glazed with a protectant.  Eventually, I just began drawing the concentric designs on paper, using very fine markers or painting them with gouache watercolor paint.  These days, making one of these mandala designs is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, or a calming, focussing device when I'm feeling scattered.                                                      Leslie
Leslie (Reach 6)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook