Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Is it actually possible to own animals?
10 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 12:07PM #1
AngelAnimals

The issue of pet ownership comes up when people try to find the right words for buying and selling animals. In our opinion referring to animals as property seems contradictory to viewing them as family members.

We have steered away from using ownership terms. This worked well when we wrote about dogs, cats, and other domesticated pets. They could be adopted or rescued without having to say they are bought and sold.

However, when we wrote our first book about horses, trying to delete the ownership terminology became cumbersome. People buy, sell, and trade horses. Unlike with dogs and cats, there's no mention of adopting them. Some people rescue horses but often they must buy them to save their lives.

The other terminology that some of our readers find offensive is referring to animals as it or that instead of he or she. To us it seems counterintuitive to talk about animals as objects. We believe they are sentient beings with intelligence, emotions, and spiritual awareness.

Some people also object to calling animals pets. We think of the word pet as a term of endearment rather than a way of diminishing the animal's individuality.

Do the words "animal companion" work as a replacement for "pet"? Are we the animals' humans? Lots of folks now prefer using those terms.

What are your ways of talking about animals? Do you think use of language and terminology affects or reflects humans' views toward animals?

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 12:51PM #2
sislaura
i believe my years of having many companions has showed me the wisdom that Yahweh has wanted to show me without words spoken.  my companions now, as ever, are rescued from abusive & unGodly homes; we can commuicate very well without words. But, sometimes i use words to encourage and direct my pals in the rite and gentle way of life.  the blessings of the Lord add no sorrow. we as humans create sorrow on ourselves when we think we can be dictators over Gods creatures that need our unconditional love, not hate. i believe our/my loving Father  directs & gives burdens of His heart for us for His glory, & the animals know Him. He who is in you is greater than he that is in the world. Yes, i believe there will be animals in the millenial kingdom, they were in the first garden.  sending love
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 12:52PM #3
sislaura
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 5:48PM #4
angelfeather1
I FEEL THAT ANIMALS ARE PART OF THE FAMILY AND NOT A PIECE OF PROPERTY ,THEY HAVE A SOUL AND FEELINGS ,THEY LOVE US NO MATTER HOW THEY ARE TREATED.ANGEL BLESSINGS SHEILA
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 3:59PM #5
irishwings
I believe that to truly love....ownership doesn't enter within.Gifts are given and accepted and I like to look at the material things I receive in life,as gifts.I believe that when we start to want to own...it's very easy for selfishness,greed and unfulfillment to enter.To want something in life gives us fulfillment,to appreciate and be thankful for these things takes the place of ownership for the sake of owning.Everything I have,I am truly grateful for and thankful for the universe providing them for me.I love my buddy,Leo and we have an open agreement when it comes to our love for each other.Blessings,Irish \o/.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook