Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View What could a bird teach about aging adventurously?
10 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2008 - 4:44PM #1

At our house we have witnessed a shining example of a senior citizen being willing to try new things.  Our cockatiel Sunshine is fifteen years young.  This is ancient in bird years.  We call him our resident curmudgeon.  He has a mind of his own and doesn't hesitate letting us know with his screeches when something is alarming or disagreeable to him.
SunshineEvery day he watches the world go by outside his cage.  He has a good view of the outdoors from his perch that faces a picture window in our living room.  He likes to imitate the calls of birds in the neighborhood.  He comes out once or twice a day to fly over to the fireplace mantel.  There he walks between two windows, takes a bath, and ends his workout with a snooze.
Although he follows the same routine daily, we discovered a couple weeks ago that Sunshine has added something new.  The first time we emptied one of his water bowls and found a small piece of raspberry in it, we noticed that the water had colored pink.  We didn't think too much about it.
Then it happened a second and third time.  Now, every day when we change Sunshine's water, we find a new piece of raspberry placed in the bowl at exactly the same spot.  It appears that after all these years, Sunshine has grown to appreciate the sweetness of fruit-flavored drinks.
This bird has been a reminder that none of us is too old to try something new and find delight in simple pleasures.

Has a bird or other animal taught you something about aging adventurously?

Quick Reply
10 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 11:40PM #2
I am a nurse in a nursing home.  On occasions I bring my lovebird
Bugby with me.  We recently had an elderly lady in the process of
dying of liver failure.  She was so eager to die and get to
heavan.  Sometimes she would wake from naps and ask if she was
"dead" yet and when she heard "no" she'd be so disappointed.  Her
daughter fell in love with "Bug" and would hold him and play when
visiting her mom in her room.  Soon her mom fell in love with Bug
and wanted a picture of him put on the ceiling above her bed to go with
all the other pictures she had of loved ones.  Then she started
asking to sleep with bug after her daughter would leave in the
evening.  We'd "tuck" her in and Bug would settle on her chest to
sleep and we'd shut off the lights.  About 30 mins later I'd come
back and check on everyone and she'd be sound asleep and bug would be
nesttled into her hair sleeping.  She died peacefully less than a
week later.  Bug helped her find pleasure in her remaining hours
and something on earth to look forward too.
Quick Reply
10 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 10:55AM #3
Hi Bug's Mom -- What an incredibly uplifting story! The photo is great, too. Thanks so much for sharing Bug with this group. He truly is an Angel Animal. -- Linda & Allen Anderson
Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook